Re: [CT_NG] Bug about uclibc's vendor string prolbem with crosstool-ng 1.1.2

Hello all!

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 17:56:45 leemgs wrote:
> I found bug about "Vendor String" processing in "ct-ng menuconfig" command
> using crosstool-ng 1.1.2 today. At first, I select uclibc without glibc.
> For example, When I input CT_TARGET_VENDOR="armv6nfp" ,
> CT_LIBC_UCLIBC_CONFIG_FILE parsing is broken
> because default prefix always use *****unknown***** format.

No, that's not true. If you go to the C library sub-menu, you'll see that
you can tell crosstool-NG where your uClibc configuration file is:
CT_LIBC_UCLIBC_CONFIG_FILE

By default, when you start off of an existing sample (pre-configured), the
configuration will point to the crosstool-NG samples directory, where I did
put the uClibc config files for the uClibc-based samples. Because ct-ng
can get installed, I can't hard-code paths in this config option, and thus
it's built with other config options, such as:
${CT_LIB_DIR}/samples/${CT_TARGET}/${CT_LIBC}-${CT_LIBC_VERSION}.config

When you change the vendor string, the target tuple changes, and thus the
path above changes, and because it's no existing sample, the config file is
not found.

Unfortunately, uClibc needs a configuration file telling what features are to
be built in uClibc. But that's all all the power of uClibc: you get what you
need! Building a uClibc config file out of the void is not sane.

In the end, if you configure for a new tuple, you have to change
CT_LIBC_UCLIBC_CONFIG_FILE so that it points to an existing file.

> You have to correct do_libc_check_config function of libc-uClibc.sh.
> Plase, Fix this bug in next version.

As I consider it not a bug, I won't fix it.

> Belows is compilation information When I  solved uclibc''s vendor
> string problem.

Thanks for telling us you succeeded such toolchains! :-) Unfortunately, it's
not much use without the config file(s) so we can reproduce it. Would mind
sending those, so that they get added to the samples repository, please?

Thanks again for your feedback! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | * _ * | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |