Re: ct-ng fails building mpfr

Zoltan,
All,

On Monday 17 November 2008 21:39:40 Zoltan Devai wrote:
> 2008/11/17 Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr>:
> > Yes, right. That is supposed to workaround a problem on Gentoo where the
> > version number check is strict, but the libtool.m4 and ltmain.sh from
> > MPFR do not have the same version number.
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough: 'libtoolize -f' removes config.{sub,guess},
> and does not install any other version.

Ah, OK.

> This seems to be the culprit: The 2.2.4 version doesn't install the new
> files without -i / --install.
> See: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libtool/+question/46987

Good point. When did libtol changed its behavior, exactly? Was it when
switching from 1.x to 2.x? Between 2.0 and 2.1? Between 2.1 and 2.2?
I will have to dig into the changelog, it seems...

Arrgghh! According to README, history is as thus:

20040807, version 1.5.8

20040829, version 1.9b:
 Like automake, libtoolize no longer installs config.guess and config.sub by
 default.  Use new --install option to get the old behaviour.

20041023, version 1.9f

20080201, version 2.1b

20080905, version 2.2.6:
 libtoolize no longer removes config.guess and config.sub, even when --install
 is passed.

/me wonders: what does that mean? Are they left as-is if --install is not
specified? And if --install *is* specified, are they replaced?

So I guess the best bet is to look at the version string, and if it is 2.x,
pass on --install (or -i), otherwise, don't.

Does that makes sense?

> > I don't have Gentoo, so can't reproduce anything. You're welcome to provide
> > a patch... ;-)
> I'd love to but I don't know anything about libtool, and I'm not
> running Gentoo either.
> I hope that at least the reason for the build failure is clear now.

Yes, thank you!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |