Re: Q: What is customary wrt GCC's include-fixed?

On (16/11/08 16:59), Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 06:43:14AM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
> > Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> > > I've managed to build a fine new toolchain based on GCC v4.3.2 and uClibc
> > > v0.9.30.  Now, I've noticed that GCC today create a separate include-fixed
> > > directory for "fixed" includes, whatever that means.  What is customary
> > > for using the files therein?
> > [snip]
> > So gcc has this "fixincludes" step to correct these problems.  When it
> > detects that a given target has a header that matches a given criteria,
> > it makes a private copy of the header and applies the fix.  You can see
> > the long list of fixincludes here:
> > <http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/fixincludes/inclhack.def?view=markup>.
>
> That's quite a list. *dazzled and confused*
>
> > > Should I symlink/move everything from include-fixed/ to include/ or should
> > > I add -isystem ...include-fixed to my build system?
> > Neither.  It's an internal implementation detail of the compiler (which
> > is why they are stored under the private compiler directory) which is
> > meant to work transparently.  User code should simply #include
> > <limits.h> and the compiler should automatically have the correct search
> > paths built in such that it gets the fixes.
>
> My new toolchain, gcc-4.3.2 built with crosstool-ng @trunk-r1208, doesn't
> do this, and neither did my gcc-4.2.4 with the gcc standard include path
> when -nostdinc is applied.

if you have -nostdinc then you have to specify it manually. glibc was
patched to use the new include path and so was uclibc. It should work
with uclibc 0.9.30

http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/uClibc/Rules.mak?rev=19932&r1=19839&r2=19932

fixed it for uclibc.

Thx