Re: cygwin Cross-GCC to MIPS

Michael,
All,

On Monday 08 December 2008 20:11:46 Michael Abbott wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > on a daily basis. qemu is working fine, even with an XP guest, but it is
> > Cygwin that maakessss iiittt sooooo sloooooowwwwwww... ( read that while
> Just checking the obvious ... but you do have kqemu installed, don't you?

Yes, kqemu is loaded. I can see when it is not, as the guest crawls like an
sluggish earth worm...

> I expect it's all that system call emulation that kills things.

Yes. The XP guest can even play videos fullscreen nicely with sound, and
it's not jerky. It's just running under Cygwin under Windows under qemu
that is slow. It's all that POSIX emulation on top of the win32 API which
is a killer.

I am wondering what would be the speed ratio between the same two machines,
one running under Linux, the other running under Cygwin. That should be
interesting enough to see whether the POSIX -> win32 emulation suffers that
much on a real machine. If someone can test and come up with figures...

> I must try the same game one of these days: pretty sure I've got a W98SE
> qemu guest somewhere (hmm ... does cygwin work under W98, I wonder?)

Yes, it should work if you use versions prior to 1.7. From 1.7, Win9x
support has been dropped. From the cygwin manual
( http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/brief-history.html ):

  The latest major improvement in this development is the 1.7 release in
  2008, which dropped Windows 95/98/Me support in favor of using Windows
  NT features more extensively.

So the currently available version on www.cygwin.com, 1.5.25-15, should
work under Win9x.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |