Re: New libc version support

Hello Thomas!
Hello All!

On Sunday 21 December 2008 11:24:54 Thomas Jourdan wrote:
> This patch adds support for glibc 2.8 and 2.9, and eglibc 2.9. It
> depends on the experimental feature. You can apply it against the
> revision 1271.

The problem with glibc >= 2.8 is there are no tarballs. This means that if
you build a toolchain now, accidentally remove the tarballs, and later come
back and rebuild the toolchain with the same .config, you are *not* guaranteed
to be using the same glibc sources, as the -latest tarball may have changed
without you noticing... This is sad.

The only other way to do is tho directly fetch the sources from CVS, using
dates or revisions (how does one retrieve a /revision/ with CVS?)

For eglibc, we already directly fetch from SVN, and we can provide a revision
number, a date, or use HEAD. Using HEAD should be discouraged, though, because
the toolchain will not be reproducible, should you lose your tarballs.

> I did not build workable toolchains yet with thoses libc versions. This
> is for later.

AFAIC, glibc and eglibc are not the top-priority. If you make them build,
provide adequate patches and samples, I'm ready to include them. If it
doesn't build, it won't stop me from releasing...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |