Re: New libc version support

Thomas & Dimitry,
All,

On Sunday 21 December 2008 20:47:43 Thomas Jourdan wrote:
> Le dimanche 21 dÃcembre 2008 Ã 19:25 +0100, Dimitry Andric a Ãcrit :
> > Also note there's a "glibc-2_8" and "glibc-2_8-branch" tag.  The former
> > is  the release version, while the latter is a sort of "maintenance"
> > branch.  You generally want the latter, but this is a moving target.
> > For example, at the moment there are a few small fixes against the
> > release.
> > The same goes for "glibc-2_9" and "glibc-2_9-branch".
> Maybe we could use the CT_LIBC_GLIBC_2_8_or_later variable to fecth with
> cvs the glibc sources, the same way it is done with eglibc. If this
> sounds like a correct solution, I can submit a new patch tomorrow.

Since we're starting to support downloading from SCM (svn or cvs), it would
be better to commonalise the code and add wrappers into scripts/functions,
then make the components call the adequate wrappers.

We'd have to add wrappers for svn and cvs so far, and later we would be
able to add others (such as git).

The problem with svn and git is they can be retrieved either via a dedicated
protocol (svn:// or git://), but also through htpp:// and we need to be able
to differentiate that from a mere tarball.

As of today, CT_GetFile wraps retrieving tarballs from either http:// or
ftp://, checking for a previously existing tarball.

I'd suggest we add a new wrapper for each supported SCM, each with its own
argument list: CT_GetSVN, CT_GetCVS, CT_GetGIT and so on...

This would be used as such:
- CT_GetSVN eglibc-2_8 svn://svn.eglibc.org/branches/eglibc-2_8
- CT_GetSVN eglibc-2_8 http://svn.eglibc.org/branches/eglibc-2_8@12345
These would create the eglibc-2_8.tar.bz2 tarballs from a svn export (or
checkout). The first would mean retrieve HEAD, while the second would mean
retrieve the branch at the revision #12345

- CT_GetCVS glibc-2_8 libc :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/glibc@glibc-2_8
would create the tarball glibc-2_8.tar.bz2 from the tag glibc-2_8 of the libc
component form the branch at :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/glibc

And so on... I don't grok git at all, and don't think it's usefull right now,
so it can lag behind...

Wrappers should not attempt to export/co directly into the ${CT_SRC_DIR},
but they shall build tarballs, so that they can be saved for later re-use.

If you are willing to dwelve into this, you are more than welcome! :-)

> By the way, I successfully built i686, x86_64 and powerpc toolchains
> based on kernel 2.6.26, gcc 4.3.2, eglibc 2.9. It was as simple as click
> and build. Nevertheless I need to do some more testing on the tool
> chains before sending config files.

OK, nice! Keep going! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |