Re: problem building toolchain with uclibc

Amir,
All,

On Saturday 14 February 2009 22:35:39 Amir Tsvitov wrote:
> From: Yann E. MORIN [mailto:yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr]
> > Do you have a requirement to use custom kernel headers? Can't you be
> > using pristine ones?
> honestly I don't know enough to answer this question. I had to
> customize the header files to support some of the features we need.
> I didn't know if the changes will affect the toolchain or not so I used
> ours instead of the pristine one.
[--SNIP--]
> Are there clearly defined rules as to what header changes affect the
> toolchain?

Do your changes impact the API between kernel-space and user-land?
If so, you need to use your modified headers. If not, you can stick
with the pristine ones.

If you made changes that do not affect the API between kernel-space and
user-land, be sure that your changes are not exported. This is usually
done using something like:

#ifdef __KERNEL__
/* here be dragons */
#endif

When the headers are then exported to userland (with make headers_install),
the kernel-space stuff gets removed, to leave only the user-land API.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |