Re: native builds

On Friday 27 February 2009 11:42:35 Roland Schwarz wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > post the exact commands you're running
> >
> > "native" is not a machine type ...
>
> Oh, sorry. Yes of course.
>
> I forgot to mention I am talking about toolset-ng scripts.
>
> I am using the
>
> ct-ng menuconfig
>
> front-end which ends up in a configuration variable:
> CT_TOOLCHAIN_TYPE="native"
>
> The feature (native builds) is marked "experimental" and
> "no code". So I am just wondering if this indicates that
> the code just has not yet been written.

Yann will have to answer this ... i dont use crosstool myself

> Then I am unsure if I need a "cross-compiler" or a "native-compiler"
> for my case. Basically I want to set up several compilers that
> are able to target several versions of linux & several versions
> of glibc while running on the same host.
>
> Is it possible to have "build==host!=target" where target
> only differs in glibc/linux-headers ?
>
> Would I even need a cross compiler?

you might be able to get away with only building up glibc and reusing your
native compiler, but that will probably be a bit of a hassle.  you'd have to
be very careful in using the headers/libs from the other glibc rather than the
native one which means lots of ugly options.

things would probably be a lot saner if you built a dedicated tuple for every
version.  you can cheat and use a different vendor field so as to keep
everything isolated as nothing out there cares about the contents of the
vendor field.

for example, if your host is x86_64 and your host tuple is x86_64-pc-linux-
gnu, then you can create toolchains named like:
 x86_64-glibc236-linux-gnu - glibc-2.3.6
 x86_64-glibc24-linux-gnu - glibc-2.4
 x86_64-glibc26-linux-gnu - glibc-2.6
 x86_64-glibc29-linux-gnu - glibc-2.9

that way you know the right version of glibc will always be used when you run
`x86_64-glibc26-linux-gnu-gcc`.

HTH
-mike