what is the logic of populate?

Hi,

having build all that is needed for a basic system and copied required configurations to my root fs, I ran populate to create the bootable root-fs.

arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-populate -v -f -s root -d root-image

it created a very sleek and light root-image/lib but failed to find libwrap and hence failed to copy it.

#ls /back/ts/root2/usr/lib/libwrap*
/back/ts/root2/usr/lib/libwrap.a   /back/ts/root2/usr/lib/libwrap.so.0
/back/ts/root2/usr/lib/libwrap.so  /back/ts/root2/usr/lib/libwrap.so.0.7.6

In looking further I found it had copied /var/spool/cron/crotab but NOT that actual crontab files therein. So I have not cron tasks defined.

I tried to boot the image and it crapped out trying to switch to init.

Further investigation reveals more interference with my root2 tree that it was supposed to copy across.

bash-4.0#ls -l /back/ts/root2/sbin/init
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31211 2009-05-22 22:39 /back/ts/root2/sbin/init
bash-4.0#ls -l /back/ts/root-image/sbin/init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-05-31 13:38 /back/ts/root-image/sbin/init -> ../bin/busybox

So it has replaced the REAL sysvinit with a symlink to busybox !? No wonder it won't boot. What is going on here?

In order for populate to determine the required libs , it must have all programs (such as init) in place in the source tree. If it is then going to ignore the installed progs and arbitrarily create symlinks to other executables it's seems difficult to have confidence in the result.

Apparently I do not understand the exact function of populate. This may be due in part to the very brief usage help that appears to be the only documentation.

It seems populate has a very precise task and very tight expectations of what is where.

It is surely a useful tool but in order to use it effectively it would seem necessary to understand it's precise task and the prerequisite conditions.

Is this information available anywhere?

TIA, Peter.