Re: Cannot build a gcc cross-compiler

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, booleandomain wrote:
> Martin Guy wrote:
> > >  It seems a chicken and egg problem: glibc needs gcc, gcc needs glibc.
> > It is. You need a robot chicken to make your first egg. Specifically,
> > you build a stripped-down gcc that is enough to build glibc, then use
> > that two to build the final gcc.
>
> I'm trying to build the stripped-down gcc, but it still fails after having
> added --disable-decimal-float --without-headers --with-newlib
> --disable-threads --disable-shared --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp.
>
> I have also looked at crosstools-ng, but it also fails (at configure
> stage) because of automake.

The automake issue is easy enough to sort: I have a makefile which wraps
crosstool-ng, and the main thing it does of interest is install local
copies of automake, autoconf, m4 and libtool (versions 1.10.2, 2.63,
1.4.12, 2.2.4 repectively).  Each is just a matter of
	./configure --prefix=${TOOLKIT_ROOT} && make install
and then I run crosstool-ng with ${TOOLKIT_ROOT}/bin on the path.

Perhaps crosstool-ng could do this bit, maybe my makefile could be
modified to be helpful?  Anyhow, I've attached the makefile I use to wrap
my crosstool-ng build (but I've not attached all the extra dependencies,
and I've not updated it recently...)

> Also, I'd like to avoid automatic scripts that do the job for me,
> because even if they work, I would not understand and learn anything
> about building a toolchains and cross-compilers. Instead what I probably
> really need is good documentation, but after having extensively searched
> the web I only found laconic or obsolete pages.

Yeah, the documentation here is pretty horrible.

Well, what crosstool-ng does is pretty informative: it's pretty nicely
structured, I think.