Re: Crosstool-NG configure requirements

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> What kind of 'install' can we expect? For sure, 'install's claiming to be
> 'coreutils' should be expected to work. But what about busybox'?

Haven't tried yet, but was wondering whether building the compiler with a
busybox (+ bash) toolchain would work.

> Anyway, the current line of development (the default branch in the repos)
> no longer has a check on install claiming 'GNU coreutils', only on install
> being present.

Jolly good.

> BTW, how long does it take to build the afore-mentioned tools (as a ratio
> of the entire toolchain build-time)? You may entice me to make crosstool-NG
> build them prior to the actual toolchain build (although we'd need some
> sharing, should the user build multiple toolchains in the same work dir).

Well I have a separate local install path which I can just prepend to
$PATH, and a separate toolkit stage which everything depends on.  In a way
it could be part of your initial install step?

So, on this rather creaky old RHEL4 box building powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
took 150 minutes (sigh).  The corresponding build of m4, autoconf,
automake and libtool takes one minute and 12 seconds!  (Hmm.  Let me try
that again: yep.)  More than half of that is m4, and most time is spent in
configure, but all that matters is the bottom line: 1/125th of the total
build time is needed environmental tools.