Re: Crosstool-NG configure requirements

Michael,
All,

On Friday 14 August 2009 09:18:53 Michael Abbott wrote:
> > BTW, how long does it take to build the afore-mentioned tools (as a ratio
> > of the entire toolchain build-time)? You may entice me to make crosstool-NG
> > build them prior to the actual toolchain build (although we'd need some
> > sharing, should the user build multiple toolchains in the same work dir).
> Well I have a separate local install path which I can just prepend to
> $PATH, and a separate toolkit stage which everything depends on.  In a way
> it could be part of your initial install step?

The idea is that those tools should be built once and for all. Then
it would make sense to build them at the initial 'make' incantation.

Do those tools depend one on the others? If not, then we'd just build them
with crosstool-NG's 'build' rule (the default one), and only install them
with crosstool-NG's 'install' rule. If there are dependencies, then we must
think carefully: I would not expect anything to be installed without asking
for it. So we'd have to install dependable tools in a temporary place, tell
each tools to find the ones it depends on in there.

> So, on this rather creaky old RHEL4 box building powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
> took 150 minutes (sigh).  The corresponding build of m4, autoconf,
> automake and libtool takes one minute and 12 seconds!  (Hmm.  Let me try
> that again: yep.)  More than half of that is m4, and most time is spent in
> configure, but all that matters is the bottom line: 1/125th of the total
> build time is needed environmental tools.

Well, that's almost zilch. :-) Let's have our own versions that we know
work, and let's get rid of the ./configure check.

Would you care to prepare a patch? I'll be off from 20090820 -> 20090828
with scarse net access, but without any machine on which to work [ or my
girlfriend would hit me hard enough that I would not do it again! ;-) ].

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |