Re: building patched gcc

Peter,
All,

On Friday 04 September 2009 10:49:51 ng@piments.com wrote:
> I have become aware of the need to patch gcc for certain ARM hardware
> and have some patches that need to be applied.

If only it was gcc for ARM... A lot of other components require patching
for diverse reasons: proper arch support, PR fixes, non-PR fixes...

> Is there a convenient way to make sure that the patched source does not
> get overwritten by the release tarball when re-running ct-ng?

Once crosstool-NG has extracted the tarball, it will not be
overwriten but subsequent calls to ct-ng.

> If it is necessary to start hacking the build scripts to add the patch
> commands , where do I need to be looking ?

You don't have to hack the scripts (unless there's a bug, which I am
not aware of so far in this part).

By default, crosstool-NG comes bundled with a proper set of patches
for each version of each supported component. And ct-ng knows where
to find this patchset.

If you have custom patches, there are two ways you can use them:
 - as Thomas suggested, include them in the same place crosstool-NG
   has the existing patches (but you'd better submit them)
 - or you can have a place on your machine that is completly out of
   control from crosstool-NG and put your patches there. Then you
   tell ct-ng where to find those patches, and it will happily get
   them and apply them. So if you later need to remove the build
   directory, you don't loose the patches, and on subsequent run,
   the patches will again be applied.

Look at:
Paths and misc options  --->
    [X] Use custom patch directory
    [ ]   Only use custom patches
    ()    Custom patch directory

Read the help for those two entries, they should be quite self explanatory.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |