Re: ct-ng build fails with 'make[1]: *** [configure-binutils] Error 1'

Godmar,
All,

On Friday 04 September 2009 21:03:16 Godmar Back wrote:
> > Yes, some of the components in the toolchain require those updated versions.
> > There has recently been discussions on this list whether it'd make sense
> > for crosstool-NG to build its own version, to alleviate the problem.
> To be clear: in this situation, I'm trying to build a cross compiler
> on a shared platform that I do not administer. So I can't put anything
> in, say /etc/ld.so.conf, /usr/bin, or /usr/lib, or even /usr/local.
> That's why I installed these versions of automake/autoconf in
> $prefix/bin where $prefix is the --prefix argument to ct-ng. I then
> prepend this directory to the path when running ct-ng.

That's all perfectly fine. I was just pointing out that it was a known
situation.

> > did you forget to set the
> > "Target OS" to "linux"?
> I did not - setting x86_64 was the only change I made. I have now
> remedied that and made two changes:
> - target to x86_64
> - OS to Linux.

Well, building a toolchain does not go with the snap of fingers.
As I said previously, there is *no* *sane* defaults to the config
options. So you can *not* rely on just setting a few options here
and there, you have to look at (almost) every other options...

> Now the build fails with:
[--SNIP--]
> build.log shows:
> [ALL  ]    make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `../build-i386-build_redhat-linux-gnu/libiberty/libiberty.a', needed
> by `build/genmodes'.  Stop.

Did you google for this error?

> All I am interested in is getting a compiler that emits x86_64
> assembly code for some ISO-C code for instructional purposes. It
> doesn't need to run. It doesn't need a particular libc version. I'm
> not picky.
> Do you know of a configuration that is known to work?

The bundled sample x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc would seem to fit.

How to use samples:
  ct-ng "put the sample name here"

Eg. in this case:
  ct-ng x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc

How to list all available samples:
  ct-ng list-samples

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |