Re: Mac OS X compiling

Hello Ryan!
Hello All!

On Monday 16 November 2009 21:22:08 Ryan Govostes wrote:
> I'm trying to use crosstool-NG on OS X

OS-X is strange, yes. I don't have it, so I have to rely on others
(like you) to report success/failure.

> to build for the x86_64-elf target.
> I haven't gotten very far yet so I'll let you know how it goes once I make
> more progress, but first I thought I'd ask about a few things:
>
> 1) crosstool-NG's configure script rejects OS X's sed because it doesn't
> support GNU's -r flag, as you note on your website. However, the FreeBSD
> version does support -E, which would appear to do the same thing. What do
> you think about having configure autodetect the correct flag to support
> FreeBSD-based systems better?

Do you have a man page for the sed in the *BSD world? (I mean: can you send
me a man page.)

On the overal, yes, that's be nice to have a way to select it.

> 2) configure also searches for GNU libtool at `which libtool`, but on OS
> X this is Apple's libtool. The GNU libtool is on the system is installed,
> but is named glibtool. Likewise for glibtoolize. However, configure
> provides no means of specifying this.

Look at how --with-bash, --with-install and so on work. You can craft
a similar support for libtool: --with-libtool=/path/to/libtool
Then, a proper wrapper will be added at build time.

> 3) It looks for the 'stat' command to get information about files.
> Net/FreeBSD's stat does not support the -c flag, which causes errors. It
> does support -f for specifying a format, but the format strings are very
> dissimilar. From what I can see, you are using %F, %a, and %i for file
> type, access rights in octal, and inode number, respectively. These are
> a little harder to get, but they seem to be supported.

Again, do you have a man page?

Wouldn't it be easier if you install the Ports collection?

> 4) Are there specific features of gawk that are required such that plain
> awk can't be used?

None that crosstool-NG itself requires to run. But some components
(eg. glibc?) seem to behave badly when awk is not gawk (eg. mawk).
So crosstool-NG does explictly require it.

> If it seems reasonable to roll in patches to the build scripts to support
> these changes, I'd be glad to help put the changes in.

Yes! Yes, please do so. :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.