Re: [CT-NG:patch 00/19] Series for several new toolchains and canadian support

Hi,

2010/4/10 Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Yann E. MORIN
> <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
>> I am very reluctant to add non-system libraries to crosstool-NG. I do not
>> want it to evolve to being another build system, there already are legions
>> of those.
>> Also, it seems they are not required to _build_ the toolchain, as the
>> default if 'n'.
>>
> Actually, the curses-light library may be needed to build gdb. When I
> tried to build gdb with the toolchain, the build failed because no
> curse library was found.

That is exactly the reason why we added the PDCurses (and GnuRX) libraries.
When host==build similar libraries are available on the build-system,
but now we start building for host!=build then in this case we cannot
rely that the build system provides usable libraries, so to be able to
build most relevant GNU-tools for a mingw-host some additional
libraries are required. Since gdb is already supported by ct-ng and we
wanted to add similar tools to the canadian build of the mingw hosted
cross-toolchain, we needed to have a curses library that is suitable
for mingw.

Further I consider the libraries DirectX and OpenGL as part of the
target Operating System API that applications can use. Notice that the
mingw cross-toolchain will typically not be used to create a custom
target filesystem, but to build tools that need to run on an existing
filesystem (Windows). I think that therefor it should be handled
somewhat less strict compared to the amount of allowed libraries to
make cross-compilation for Windows applications easier for the user of
the toolchain.

Kind regards,

Remy