Re: can CTNG build an x86 (32bits) cross-toolchain on an amd64(64bits) workstation ?

Frederic, All,

On Monday 10 May 2010 21:24:04 Frederic Roussel wrote:
> I'm back looking at crosstool-ng, and I've noticed all the progress
> that has been made in a few months of time.
> Congratulations and many thanks to all, especially to Yann, for
> releasing a great piece of software!

Cheers! :-)

> I have a question regarding how to use ct-ng on an amd64 machine.
> I would like to generate a cross-toolchain that will be run on
> 32bits-x86 machines.
> That sounds to me like a mild case of canadian cross compiler.

That *is* a canadian cross.

> I am just wondering if there is a way to do that with the current
> version, or the head of the hg tree.

Yes, as Khem said, set:

  Paths and misc options  --->
    [*] Try features marked as EXPERIMENTAL
  Toolchain options  --->
    Type (Canadian     (EXPERIMENTAL))  --->

> Short of finalizing the canadian support, would you think of a way to
> generate 32bits x86 on an 64bits amd64 ? something like the use of
> "-m32" flag

Nope. Just build it as a canadian cross, which it definitely is.

Note however that if you have 'legacy 32-bit support' enabled in your
kernel, and the 32-bit support libraries installed, then ./configure
(from gcc and binutils) may believe they are able to run host binaries,
and that may produce unexpected results.

If it fails (and even if it works!), I'd be interested in earing^Wreading
the results. If you have time to invetigate failure, I'd be glad for it.

Also, a 32-bit chroot might not do the trick, as the running kernel would
still be a 64-bit kernel, and thus uname may report x86_64 instead of some
i?86.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.