sysroots?

Has anyone done the work to collect up "sysroots"?
?You know, headers and libraries, at least for startup and libc?
Esp. of systems that don't use glibc or newlib?

In particular, I noticed a license.txt or such on my Solaris machine granting liberal rights to some files, like the C startup object files. And maybe more.
I didn't realize what it was at the time, but thinking back..

I built cross gcc for Solaris but I did something wasteful and not likely sharable in a legal way.
? I copied over darn near everything.
With Solaris being "open" now, this might be "sharable legally", but still wasteful.

I've built cross gcc for Irix and I think I did similar.
I have interest in cross gcc for HP-UX and AIX as well.
And I've built cross gcc for VMS (enough to cross build native gcc/ld).

"Work" in this case would be, like:
? determine the "minimum" number of files
??? Granted, that depends on the goal. Building gcc? Building gui apps?
? determine which are liberally enough licensed that they can be copied around
? possibly rewriting where there is not liberal license
? collect up results in something that crosstool knows to find, download, use

I find sysroots to be a problematic part of building cross gcc/ld.

?- Jay