Re: Toolchain has UID dependency

On Monday 28 June 2010 18:54:30 Rod Nussbaumer wrote:
> I have built a toolchain using CT-NG 1.4.2. I used that version because
> I need to target a system using an older kernel & glibc, and because I
> was following a recipe that I found online. Also CT-NG 1.7.0 failed to
> build a toolchain (but that's a different problem).

Please, start a new thread with that error of yours.

> The toolchain seemed to build successfully on the Debian 5 build host.
> I tarred up the result, and unpacked it on a RHEL4 host, but at a
> different location in the filesystem (which I don't think should matter).

No, it should not matter if the toolchain was built with sysroot support
(which is the default, and should be enabled). I'm thinking of removing
that options once and for all, and always build sysrooted toolchains.

> Gcc seems to work there, but only if run by the UID that built the
> toolchain on the Debian host, or as user 'root'.

If a UID!=0 can't use the toolchain, UID==0 and original UID!=0 both can,
then it really smells like missing permissions by the new UID to access the toolchain.

I guess you untarred the toolchain while being root, right? You have to know
that tar stores the UID as a numerical value in the tarball. If a standard
user extract the tarball, then files are recreated with the current user's
UID. If root extracts the tarball, then the recreated files are set to be
owned by the UID stored in the tarball.

As root, try to run:
  chmod -R go+rX /usr1/local/support/Xtools/arm-unknown-linux-gnu
(or wherever you did move the toolchain to).

And the toolchain will work again. Hopefully! ;-)

> Performing the exact same operation by the builder UID works perfectly well.

Permission issues.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.