Re: Toolchain has UID dependency

Martin, Rod, All,

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 105550 Martin Guy wrote:
> Let me guess... /home/bomr exists and is not accessible to anyone
> other than bomr,
> so bomr can follow the long path and fails when it can see that a
> certain directory does not exist, while any other user can't look in
> /home/bomr, so can't see whether the dir exists or not, hence 2
> different errors, one of which is trapped and ignored, the other of
> which is considered fatal.

IMHO, gcc should treat it the same way, and fallback to using the new
location, as if the searched path did in fact not exist.

> >  So, is there a way to make the cross compiler NOT look there?
> Your answer is to get the /home/bomr stuff out of the toolchain you
> are installing.
> It has no business being in there - you should be installing in
> /usr/local or /opt or somewhere like that.

Unfortunately, not all users can write to either place. On my machine, I
made my main usr member of a grou pthat can write to /op, but it requires
root priviledges, which you might not have on a production system.

So really, I think gcc is at fault here. The right solution would be for
gcc not to fail on permission denied, and continue searching the other
paths.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |