Re: Toolchain has UID dependency

Rod Nussbaumer wrote:

After thinking about it, I came to a similar conclusion. I was hoping that the list of 'places to look for stuff' could be controlled in some way when the cross compiler was built (by CT-NG). It sounds like you're saying that is not the case.
So, in my uncanny way, I've found a way to work outside the box of normalcy, again. I feel proud. Maybe someone in the Gnu cc community will read this and see fit to change it.
I have already tried running CT-NG from a directory that is normally readable by other users, and that seems to produce a toolchain that works as expected when transported to another host. It still bugs me that there are build-host dependencies built into the toolchain, but having a method that gets my job done will suffice.

I will consider this case closed. Thanks for your help.

Well, on further reflection, I now see what seems to be the origin of the problem. The default setting in the CT-NG config:

CT_PREFIX_DIR="${HOME}/x-tools/${CT_TARGET}"

This setting seems to promote the use of a home directory as the destination for the built toolchain. Then there is

CT_INSTALL_DIR="${CT_PREFIX_DIR}"

and the distinction between the two is not clear to me, especially since they end with the same value. Does it seem reasonable that if ${HOME} is to be part of the directory that is used, and embedded in the created binaries, a note should be part of the menuconfig help, explaining the possible ramifications? Or, perhaps using ${HOME} as part of the default setting should be changed altogether.

Sorry to drag this out any more.

--- rod.