Re: ct-ng -> git repos instead of single patches

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> what do you think about the idea of directly using git repos
> instead of standalone patches ?

how do you handle project not using git as their primary SCM ?
Importing tarballs in repositories in pretty hackish. Having a single
repo is out of question as git hardly scale. Moreover, that would
require huge bandwidth for projects which provide a git tree. Linux
tree should be +500M, (unofficial) gcc and glib are about 600M not
check'et out.

> My idea would be using an canonical repository layout (just like
> my oss-qm repos)
"oss-qm" ?

> where ct-ng could checkout the appropriate trees
> on package name and (normalized) version number. If someone likes
> to have different sources (instead of now different patch dirs),
> he would simply use another repository or ref prefix.

once again, everybody is not using git.

 - Arnaud

note: I didn't discussed Yann's hg preference :)