Re: ct-ng -> git repos instead of single patches

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 19:28 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> what do you think about the idea of directly using git repos
> instead of standalone patches ?
>
> My idea would be using an canonical repository layout (just like
> my oss-qm repos) where ct-ng could checkout the appropriate trees
> on package name and (normalized) version number. If someone likes
> to have different sources (instead of now different patch dirs),
> he would simply use another repository or ref prefix.

First, I would like to state that I am a great fan of git, and use it
for almost all my CM needs.

But I am just as big a fan of KISS, and in this case, I cannot help
myself having a really bad fealing about this. The current patch file
approach is definitely KISS.  And I fail to see the shortcomings.

Having integrated ct-ng into a build system, I also find the current
patch system easy to handle for local changes.

So, could someone please explain which problem is being addressed here?
(did anyone say "don't fix it, if it ain't broken"?)

/Esben