Re: Behaviour of toolchain "cannot find /lib/libc.so.0"

Hello,

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:33:39 -0400
Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I asked for the same. Obviously, Yann has no clue about what he is
> doing.

Arnaud, I've been reading all your comments and contributions to
Crosstool-NG the last few weeks, and I see those as very valuable
contributions.

However, I do not understand why you are continuously so aggressive
against Yann. Yann has built a tool that is a nice replacement to the
old crosstool, a tool that is known as being the best tool available to
build toolchains, he has built a fairly large community around it
thanks to his enthusiasm and reactivity. So saying that Yann has no clue
about what he is doing is just wrong, as the past few years that Yann
has spent developing Crosstool-NG prove. It's not with such an
aggressive attitude that you would have been able to build a similar
community.

Obviously, as this a volunteer effort, it's not perfect: improvements
are always necessary and are very welcome. I haven't seen Yann
rejecting any of your proposed changes when they are justified and when
they make sense (which they often, if not always, do).

The point you raise about the stack of patches that Crosstool-NG has
for the different components is very valid and I think it's worth
spending some time triaging those patches, trying to get some of them
merged upstream and so on. Yann does not have enough time to do this, so
having additional developers willing to do that is very good.

Also, let's remain humble. I don't think anybody here can pretend to be
at the same time a gcc expert, a ld expert, a make expert, a shell
expert, etc. So there are necessarily areas in which more expertise is
needed, and this expertise, when given in a friendly and mutually
respective atmosphere, is very welcome.

So, Arnaud, may I kindly ask you to keep raising your comments, keep
sending your contributions, but adopting a different tone in your
e-mails ?

I offer to pay Yann and you a beer at the next conference you'll have
the opportunity to meet together.

Regards,

Thomas
--