Re: Patches for crosscompiling on Mac OS X

Geoffrey, All,

On Friday 29 October 2010 03:07:50 Geoffrey Lee wrote:
> I'm building a cross toolchain for Linux/x86-64 on Mac OS X with ct-ng 1.8.1.
> I've needed to patch some files to make it compile, which I have attached.

While I appreciate the effort, I have some concerns with your patches.

First and foremost, they are really difficult to apply, as they are not
correctly prepared. You should use Mercurial to prepare your patches and
send them. At the very least, it should be possible to apply those patches
using "patch -p1".

Second, because your patches are inter-mixed with the body parts, replying
to the whole message is not easy.

Anyway, here are my comments on the patches:

- ct-ng.install_headers.patch
  I do not understand what you mean by "non-latin characters". I do not know
  how MacOS-X works, but as long as your shell can access the /Volume/BLA
  mount point, then there shall be no reason crosstool-NG can't.
  Besides, I don't like to have to rely on packages cleaning up behind them,
  as the clean might not be absolutely complete.
  I guess that O= not working is just a sign of a more obscur problem.
  Lets try to find exactly what, and not try to mess things up.

- glibc-2.9-rtld.patch
  This seems a patch against glibc, not against crosstool-NG... :-/
  Besides, it seems really hard to understand all its implications.
  Were did you get that from? Care to expand a bit on its implications?

- ct-ng-glibc.sh.patch
  There is already a sed handling in ./configure. To use a specific sed,
  just pass it: --with-sed=/path/to/gsed

- ct-ng-gcc.sh.patch
  What does the MacOS-X' ld says to used static/shared libraries? GNU ld
  at least supports the equivalents:
  - for static: -Bstatic   -dn  -non_shared   -static
  - for shared: -Bdynamic  -dy  -call_shared
  If you can find a common option for both, then the better.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.