Re: Not understanding something basic about downloading

Peter, All,

On Wednesday 08 December 2010 19:19:34 Peter Dufault wrote:
> I'm trying to hook my build system into ct-ng hosted on a clients old RHEL4
> system.  I've updated the tools that the ct-ng configuration called out and
> it installed OK.  However, I can't get automatic downloading to work - I
> have to download things manually into the directory, and then ct-ng finds
> the tarballs.  If I try to let it do the download itself it fails and there
> are no logs.

Look in the directory you set as PREFIX_DIR. There is a file in there that
is named build.log. This is the important, complete build log. Post it on
some place where I can grab it (it's usualy too big for the list, so don't
post it here, but on a URL we can grab it from).

> Consider - it can't find gcc.4.4.5, but I can download it from that location
> specified as the base URL.  Am I missing something basic?  As you can see
> it's ct-ng-1.9.0. "make" and "curl" aren't updated, make is 3.8 and curl is
> 7.12.1.

Sounds good...

> [dufault@pico play_with_crosstool]$ ct-ng build
> [INFO ]  Performing some trivial sanity checks
> [INFO ]  Build started 20101208.131052
> [INFO ]  Building environment variables
> [INFO ]  =================================================================
> [INFO ]  Retrieving needed toolchain components' tarballs
> [ERROR]    Could not retrieve 'gcc-4.4.5'.

There is not enough information to see why it fails. Post the build.log as
instructed above.

> [dufault@pico play_with_crosstool]$ grep -i mirror .config
> CT_USE_MIRROR=y
> # CT_PREFER_MIRROR is not set
> CT_MIRROR_BASE_URL="ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc.4.4.5";

First, gcc is in ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.4.5/. Notice that 'gcc' and
'4.4.5' are separated by a hyphen '-', not a dot '.'.

Second, you mis-use the mirror URL. Crosstool-NG uses BASE_URL as follows
(basically):
  FULL_URL="${BASE_URL}/${COMP_NAME}/${COMP_FILE_NAME}"

For example, for gcc-4.4.5, it would be something like:
  COMP_NAME=gcc
  COMP_FILE_NAME=gcc-4.4.5.tar.bz2

So, suing the mirror URL as you specified will prevent crostool-NG from
finding the other components. But that is a minor issue for you as you
can't even download a single one... :-(

Let's see why it fails, you should not need to use the mirror stuff is
all is properly setup...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.