Re: crosstool-ng with mingw

Chih-Min, All,

On Friday 07 January 2011 104255 Chih-Min Chao wrote:
> I need to run my cross-toolchain on windows host to generate code on
> arm-linux-gnueabi target. I see there is a option

So you have:
- a Linux box where you want to _build_ the toolchain
- a windows box on which you want to _run_ the toolchain
- an ARM box which you want to _generate_ code for

Right?

If so, then this is called a "canadian-cross" compiler.

> Operating system -> Target OS ->mingw32

What this means is that the toolchain will _generate_ code to run under
mingw32, hence the title of the choice: "_Target_ OS", target being your
ARM box in your case, and as you want to run Linux on that box, you do not
want to set it to 'mingw32', but you want to set it to 'linux'.

> But if i select it, the linux kernel related option will be turned
> off.

As this is a choice of the _target_ OS, you can't at the same time target
both mingw32 and linux. it either one or the other.

> I think it is strange.
> Is it the correct way ?
> Does anyone have tried ming32 build ?

Crosstool-NG itself has not been tested to run on mingw32, AFAIK.

But by configuring crosstool-NG for building a canadian-cross, you can build
the toolchain on Linbux, run it on mingw32, and execute the generated code
on linux on your ARM board.

There is already an example of a canadian-cross, but it is targetting i686,
not ARM. You may want to look at how it is configured to apply this to your
own requirements:
  ./ct-ng show-mingw32,i686-none-linux-gnu

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |