Re: Tutorial

You do not need to configure the kernel to install the headers

Fixed.

In your example, the gcc pass-1 is not required, as the uClibc headers
do not need a cross compiler when using LinuxThreads. If you were to
use NPTL, then you need the gcc pass 1, and you'd need to also install
the uClibc "start files" (which you are missing), see below.

Fixed. I chose not use NPTL because it is not present as an option in uClibc-0.9.31 and it is still experimental as of 0.9.32-rc2.

Installing the pass 1&  2 compilers in the final prefix is dubious. It
/might/ break in some cases, especially when doing a canadian-cross.

Why? Where should I put it?

As you stated that it is not intended as  "another automatic tool" but
rather a mean to "teach new people", I would have first introduced the
dependencies that exist between all the components. For example, why one
needs to build gcc three times. Or why one needs to install the kernel
headers.
All this might sound obvious to you and us, but to it will most probably
sound like black magic to newcomers (at least it did to me when I started
building toolchains).

Fixed. I chose not to use your explaination directly, but please, don't take it personally :-) Anyway, I put a link to it at the end of the tutorial.

And once you have stated the above, you can carry on with an example. I would
suggest doing a true cross-compiler example. i686 on x86_64 is not really
representative, while building an ARM cross-compiler on x86_64 is.

Fixed.

Also, I fixed other minor things.

I chose not to include PPL, CLooG-PPL and libelf as they are still not strictly required and they complicate things a little bit. Please remember that my tutorial is for newbies (as I am). Experts surely don't need it for deploying a cross-compiler.

The link for the tutorial has changed as I switched from Ubuntu to Debian:

http://fturco.org/wiki/doku.php?id=debian:cross-compiler

That said, my tutorial is still not finished because my knowledge of cross-compilers is limited. I'll add new things as soon as I learn them.

Any comment is welcome.

Francesco Turco