Re: crosstool 1.9.1

Alexey, All,

On Friday 21 January 2011 04:56:46 Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
> >> Is it possible to have a sysroot location configurable and still
> >> restricted to the toolchain directory?
>
> > Maybe SYSROOT_DIR_PREFIX ?
> > Toolchain options  --->
> >   ()    sysroot prefix dir (READ HELP)

> No,   this  is  not  a  case.  In this case we still have it under the
> toolchain path.

Which is exactly what is expected. As stated previously, the sysroot
_has_ to be below the toolchain installation directory.

> I would like to have a sysroot at the same level as a toolchain.
> like:
> arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi
> bin
> include
> lib
> lib64
> libexec
> share
> sysroot

If you do so, then you can't have multiple toolchains in the same directory,
as you will not be able to differentiate the sysroot for each toolchain.

Currently, crosstool-NG simply removes the entire installation directory,
thus it is not possible to install multiple toolchains in the same place.
But really, there is absolutely nothing that should prevent two or more
toolchains to be installed side-by-side (except if the tuples are the
same, of course, but who being sound, would want to do that?).

So, the sysroot can't be located at the top-dir of the toolchain, and must
be below the arch-dependent directory inside the toolchain.

That being said, if you really need the sysroot to be at the top of the
toolchain install dir, and you do not mix toolchains, then you could symlink
it after the build:
  ln -s arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/sys-root sysroot

> Another question: is it possible to configure a sysroot name? :)
> You  have  hardcoded  "sys-root"  and  "debug-root"  values.

No strong opinion. It's been like that since the begining. A priori,
there is no reason the sysroot has to be called 'sys-root'. I can add
a new config knob to enter a new name...

> We  have "sysroot" and don't have a debugroot.

Well, the debug-root is not part of the sysroot. The sysroot contains the
system libraries and include files, while the debug-root is specific to
crostool-NG, where the debug utilities are installed.

Maybe we could add a new config knob that installs the debut utilities in
the sysroot instead of in their own place. There is no real harm done by
doing so, but I do not like it: I would prefer that the debug utilities,
that are not really part of the toolchain, and only built as a convernience,
are not added to the sysroot.

In your case, you do not mind, as you build all from scratch every time, and
do not care about the sysroot 'purity'. So, I'll look at that new config knob...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.