Re: Plugin support with gcc-4.5.0

Karthik, All,

On Friday 28 January 2011 14:15:51 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On Friday 28 January 2011 140102 karthik duraisami wrote:
> > A cross-compiler for ARM (armeb-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi) with gcc-4.5.0
> > does not recognize plugins (activated with the -fplugin option) and gives
> > the following error message,
> > cc1: error: Plugin support is disabled.? Configure with --enable-plugin.
[--SNIP--]
> As for gcc, there is no --enable-plugin option specified in the documantation:
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

OK, I've done some tests here. First and foremost, gcc-4.5.0 is buggy in this
respect. It uses the target objdump against a host binary. That can't work.
Hence plugins are disabled by default, but continues if not explicitly
requested. Sigh...

So, when you explicitly enable plugins with --enable-plugin, then configure
bails out.

gcc-4.5.2 has a fix for that, and seems to be working so far (at least it
configures and builds OK). I haven't checked 4.5.1, I'll leave it to you.

Anyway, crostool-NG was missing the --enable-plugin flag. I have a fix for
this locally. Will push later tonight...

Also, currently only the final gcc is built with support for plugins and LTO,
and the core gcc are not, which means the C library build is not taking
advantage of LTO. I'll look at adding that, but I'm afraid we're too close
to the release, and that it will get in after...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.