toolchain for powerpc e500v2

Hi all,

I'm trying to use ct-ng (of approx. May 2010) to generate
cross gcc-4.5.1, glibc-2.9/linux for a powerpc e500v2 / SPE.

Setting floating point to "hardware" results in a build
error in glibc where the assembler complains while compiling
an FP file about an unmatched constraint
(I could try to get the original message if it helps).

The tool chain gets built when I set floating point support to "software".
However, the resulting compiler does not emit hardware FP instructions
unless I give -mhard-float on the command line.

Is my assumption correct that setting floating point to "hardware" turns on
code generation for the standard PowerPC FPU which this target lacks?

I'd like to avoid having a compiler which needs target specific flags
on the command line, thus:
Does anyone know which options to turn on to get a compiler that
emits correct SPE FP instructions without explicitly being told so
by -mhard-float?

Regards
Titus