Re: [CT-NG] Status : canadian rework

Andreas, All,

On Thursday 10 March 2011 19:57:25 Andreas Erler wrote:
> i wanted to test building a canadian cross:
> BUILD: linux
> HOST: i686-pc-mingw32
> TARGET: arm-unknow-uclibcgnueabi
> but unfortunately I failed.
>
> I then tried to build the mingw canadian sample you mentioned in your email,
> but it also fails at the very beginning with this lines:
>
> [INFO ]  Performing some trivial sanity checks
> [INFO ]  Build started 20110310.133646
> [INFO ]  Building environment variables
> [EXTRA]  Preparing working directories
> [ERROR]  Missing: 'i586-mingw32msvc-ar' or 'i586-mingw32msvc-ar' or 'ar' :
> either needed!

You're missing the cross compiler for the host.
The idea is that the toolchain is not the only stuff running on the host,
so the other SW running on host is supposed to be also cross-compiled, so
that cross compiler already exists.

Mingw is just a denormalised case, where the host system is not cross-built.

> I'm a little bit confused (long time ago that a built my last canadian cross
> compiler), am I'm doing wrong here to leave the config from the sample
> unchanged and tried directly to build the canadian cross in one shot?
> Do I have to build first a cross compiler for i586-mingw32msvc that runs on
> linux and then build a cross compiler for let's say
> arm-unknown-uclibcgnueabi that runs on linux, and then do the canadian cross
> compilation?

For the first part, yes, you should provide a cross compiler i586-mingw32msvc.
And the cross compiler for arm-unknown-uclibcgnueabi is built internally,
so it is not needed to have an existing one.

On Debian, you can just run the following to get such a compiler:
  apt-get install mingw32

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.