Cross Compile Process

Hi,

I have been using crosstoll-NG for a while and it is a great tool!
Now I am trying to understand the internals of crosstool about how it
actually works so that I will be able to contribute and help others in
the future.
I looked into the script and the steps but I was getting confused
about the complicated process of building a cross compiler.
Are there any good documents explaining this well or would enable me
better understand how gcc actually get built?

Specifically, I am confused at the following questions:
1. Why does it need to fetch the linux kernel? I searched around about
how to build a cross compiler, the methodologies are all different.
Some need to get the linux-libc headers, some don't need to get
anything.

2. What is the major difference of using newlib instead of glibc?

3. Why building gcc needs to be split into different stages?

3. If I am to configure the cross compiler to enable soft-float, where
exactly do crosstool set the flags?

I know these are lots of questions but it would be great if you could
give some hint to any of them.
Thanks!

--
Xun Li