Re: i686-apple-darwin10 to i386-pc-linux-gnu, ld invoked with gnu options

Andrea, Bryan, All,

On Thursday 23 June 2011 13:36:16 Bryan Hundven wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Andrea Franceschini
> <therealmorpheu5@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there.
> > I'm building a cross toolchain for i386-pc-linux-gnu on Mac OS X (it
> > says x86_64-apple-darwin10) and I'm facing a strange bug. According to
> > http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2010-10/msg00187.html should already
> > be good. Nonetheless this is what build.log has to say
>
> Hah, looking at that email what I see is someone sending the list some
> patches, and Yann saying "no".

I did not say 'no'. I expressed my opinion that:
 - the kernel-related patch seemed as a symptom of a more obscur issue.
   FTR, it was about O= breaking, which it should not.
 - I asked for clarifications about the glibc patch
 - the sed patch I refused because there is already provision for specifying
   an alternate sed if needed
 - for the gcc-build script, I asked for more info.

There was no answer, so I dropped all 4... :-(

But now the issue pops up again, maybe we can at last kill it! ;-)
You are the guys that can test on MacOS, so I'll listen to your suggestions.
Maybe an answer to tmy questions about the gcc static libstdc++ issue would
be a start:

---8<---
What does the MacOS-X' ld says to used static/shared libraries? GNU ld
at least supports the equivalents:
- for static: -Bstatic   -dn  -non_shared   -static
- for shared: -Bdynamic  -dy  -call_shared
If you can find a common option for both, then the better.
---8<---

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.