Re: Error building toolchain for ARM cortex A8

Eric, All,

On Monday 05 March 2012 22:14:02 Eric B Munson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a toolchain for an ARM Cortex A8 and regardless of
> the options I select for gcc/glibc versions I always get this error:
>
> [INFO ]  Installing C library headers & start files
> [ERROR]    checking for suffix of object files... configure: error:
> cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
[--SNIP--]
> The full build log is available here:
> http://www.mgebm.net/~emunson/build.log

Some time, the build.log is enough to pinpoint the issue (because usual
patterns show up, and they can be spotted).

One of the usual pattern is "See `config.log' for more details."
This points to the config.log in the current build ditrectory, which can
be inferred with the name of the step being processed, in this case, the
C library headers and start files. This points us to:
    /home/user/arm-xtool/.build/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/build/build-libc-startfiles/

There, a vonfig.log file shows up. Looking at this file, the last test
that was attempted and failed was:

    configure:3301: checking for suffix of object files
    configure:3327: arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc     -c  -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE
      -mlittle-endian      -mhard-float  -O2   conftest.c >&5
    conftest.c:1: sorry, unimplemented: -mfloat-abi=hard and VFP

Which looks pretty obvious: hard-float are not possible for VFP. Although
this is theorically possible, gcc-4.4 (and all other versions, AFAIK) do
not support building hard-float for VFP.

> What am I doing wrong?

Build with soft-float.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.