Re: License text in finished built toolchain?

Per Arnold Blaasmo wrote:
Hi,
I have a question regarding the finished built toolchain and
redistribution if that.

If I use Crosstool-ng to build a GNU Toolchain and redistribute that
with my own product.

Do we need to have the license files in the finished build tree?
Should crosstool-ng copy those in to the finished tree?

What about crosstool-ng's license?
Do we need to add that to the finished built toolchain?

Do anyone have any thought on this?

Best Regards
Per A.

May I suggest that the business decision to use the GCC technology (in my opinion perhaps the greatest mankind achievement in the field of software engineering) should have been taken with due consideration for the legal framework called *GPL*.

Then, to "redistribute a GNU toolchain" means compliance to the GPL, which obviously requires the copyright statements and license files, and more useful to the community in practice, the availability (through the redistributing organization, as detailed in the license provisions) of the source code that allowed the distributor to come up with the finished built toolchain.

If you don't abide by the license terms, you should stop redistributing GCC toolchains and rely on proprietary compiler technology.

You may need legal advice to get a full understanding or the situation.

I don' se the point for crossgcc developers/maintainers to delve into these issues for you. Their time is best used elsewhere.

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier
Montreal, QC, Canada H2M 2A1