Static linking impossible on the host system

Hi,

when trying to build a powerpc crosscompiler on this openSUSE 12.1
(x86_64) system, "ct-ng build" fails with:

  [ERROR]  Static linking impossible on the host system 'x86_64-build_unknown-linux-gnu'

This error has been posted before[0] - there it was suggested to
"disable CT_WANTS_STATIC_LINK". And it's true, disabling
CT_WANTS_STATIC_LINK helps. But I find it impossible to do so via
"ct-ng menuconfig":

IIUC, CT_WANTS_STATIC_LINK cannot be toggled directly but it is
selected via CT_STATIC_TOOLCHAIN. However, when CT_EXPERIMENTAL is not
enabled, I cannot even (un)select this option[1].

When I enable CT_EXPERIMENTAL, I _could_ enable CT_STATIC_TOOLCHAIN - but
it's disabled per default. After exiting "menuconfig", the resulting
.config now has:

  +CT_EXPERIMENTAL=y
  +CT_ARCH_SUPPORTS_64=y
  +CT_CC_LANG_OTHERS=""

Yet, CT_WANTS_STATIC_LINK is still set - while CT_STATIC_TOOLCHAIN is NOT.

As a workaround I always do this after "ct-ng menuconfig":

 sed 's/^CT_WANTS_STATIC_LINK=y/# CT_WANTS_STATIC_LINK is not set/' -i .config

It helps and the toolchain builds & works. But I wonder if this cannot be
fixed somehow.

Thanks,
Christian.

[0] http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2012-01/msg00013.html
[1] "Build Static Toolchain" under "Toolchain Options"
--
BOFH excuse #229:

wrong polarity of neutron flow