Re: crosstool-NG hangs during PPL instalation

Aleksandar, All,

On Tuesday 23 October 2012 Aleksandar Milenkovic wrote:
> I'm trying to generate a x86/x86_64 crosscompiler that will compile for
> ARM. After much googling, browsing and trying to do things by hand, I
> stumbled upon crosstool-NG which everyone seems to be using. I also saw
> that it supports what i'm trying to get at (arm-linux-gnueabi) so i'm
> giving it a shot.
>
> But after configuring everything (before building though) it just hangs
> on installing PPL. The cursor moves, there is activity but it just takes
> more than an hour. What could be the cause of this? Does PPL really take
> hours or did I forgot to turn off companion checking?

More than one hour to just _build_ PPL is a bit too long, even on a slow
machine. However, if you did enable checking the companion libraries,
checking PPL can well take a *very* long time. As stated, it takes roughly
1 minute to build PPL on my machine, and mopre than 1 hour to run the
checks for PPL.

So, I would advise you double-check your configuration.

However, it is highly recommended that you run the test-suite of the
companion libraries at least once on your machine (can't remember which,
but one of them says it is highly recommended).

Also, running in a VM can also impact performance, but probably not to this
point.

Also, the first step crosstool-NG does, is retrieve the tarballs you are
missing, and depending on your network, that can take some time, too.
Some components (eg. eglibc) are retrieved from the SVN repository, and
it tends to take quite a long time, as compared to simply downloading
a similiar-sized tarball. Be sure not to substract the download time.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.