Re: Supporting git patches?

Johannes, All

[Oh my. We already have two Yann, now we have two Johannes...
You guys want me to loose my sanity, or what? ;-) ]

On Sunday 04 November 2012 Johannes Pfau wrote:
> I'm trying to build D ( dlang.org ) cross compilers with crosstool-NG.

Nice to read. There has already been a few persons asking for D, but
no patches so far...

> The gdc sources are currently distributed with a script which patches a
> gcc tree, but calling that script would require hacking crosstool-NG and
> this should work out of the box. So I thought I'd just create a diff
> between the unpatched GCC and the patched sources and let crosstool-NG
> apply this as a local patch.
>
> It almost worked. But gdc creates new, executable files and diff/patch
> don't save/restore the executable bit.

Yes, that's a limitation of standard patches.

> So I'm wondering if support for git patches could be added to
> crosstool-NG? Git patches have some advanced features, one of them is
> saving/restoring permissions. I think supporting that shouldn't be too
> difficult, just apply all *.gpatch files with 'git apply' and it should
> work, so it's probably a 2-3 line change, but my bash skills are too
> weak to implement this by myself :-)

I did no know that git could be used to apply patches outside of a git
repository. That's a nice-to-know. :-)

Well, why differentiate git-patches from non-git-patches? Can't we just
always use 'git apply' to apply any patch, even legacy patches?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.