Re: Darwin target

Ray, All,

On Wednesday 14 November 2012 Ray Donnelly wrote:
> The patch for cctools is currently looking fairly large, close to 2MB,
> a lot of this is because the original source doesn't include autotools
> support, instead offering just a plain Makefile.

Why do we not use that plain Makefile, then?
Can we make it to work with minimal effort: patching and/or environment
variables?
If so, why bother with autotooling such a big package?

> Also, cctools includes an old linker which is fairly outdated (not 64
> bit), and the new linker (ld64) is a separate project. Currently, my
> toolchain4 merges this with cctools so that the autotools support work
> is shared. Will this be an issue? The problem with keeping them split
> up is that we'd have two large autoconf-adding patches instead of one!

Sorry, I'm a bit at loss, here... For each of the following statements, say
whether it is true or false:

Statements                                            | True or False |
------------------------------------------------------+---------------+
cctools' linker can link 32-bit objects               |               |
cctools' linker can link 64-bit objects               |               |
cctools' linker can be built on 32-bit systems        |               |
cctools' linker can be built on 64-bit systems        |               |
cctools' is distributed as binary-only                |               |
------------------------------------------------------+---------------+
ld64 can link 32-bit objects                          |               |
ld64 can link 64-bit objects                          |               |
ld64 can be built on 32-bit systems                   |               |
ld64 can be built on 64-bit systems                   |               |
ld64 is distributed as binary-only                    |               |
------------------------------------------------------+---------------+
ld64 replaces cctools' linker in your /merge/         |               |
cctools' linker will not be used for Darwin in ct-ng  |               |

> There's a few other bits and pieces merged in, e.g. libprunetrie which
> is used for dead code stripping.

Is libprunetrie mandatory?
Can we make it a companion library?

> There's also dependencies on OpenSSL and an old version of llvmCore
> but there's no reason to merge these.

Wait, you mean dependency on OpenSSL is not mandatory?

Basically, I'd like that whatever is *not* mandatory not be added in
the first submission, to lower the cost of review and inclusion.

Whether we add them later or not, will have to be discussed later.

Thank you!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.