Re: make-3.82 and old glibc

Oleg, All,

On Wednesday 21 November 2012 Oleg Oleshko wrote:
> in B - Known issues.txt there are a couple of points with make-3.82 and
> old glibc.
> I believe we can fix both of them (or fix workarounds at least).

> First one:
> glibc start files and headers fail with: [/usr/include/limits.h] Error 1
[--SNIP--]
> Second one:
> The build fails with "mixed implicit and normal rules. Stop."

There are already two suggested workarounds for these two issues.

First, crostool-NG can build a make-3.81 for internal use. See that
same file for explanations on how to setup crosstool-NG to do that.

Second, let the user iunstall its own make-3.81, and install it in a
place that is early in the PATH, to ensure it is pcicked up before the
system make.

I would prefer *not* to patch all broken components. For example, even
some versions of the Linux kernel are broken with make-3.82. Patching
all components (known to fail) is not convenient, and we would anyway
need to keep the internal make-3.81 build for cases where the user uses
a local (eg. custom) component that is not patched in this respect.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.