Re: why build start files before core gcc pass 2 ?

"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> writes:

> Esben, All,
>
> On Tuesday 26 February 2013 Esben Haabendal wrote:
>> "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> writes:
>> > On Thursday 17 January 2013 Wang Baisheng wrote:
> [--SNIP--]
>> >
>> > This is a very complex question, for which I do not have the absolute
>> > answer.
>> >
>> > There are two ways to approach this problem: the academic point of view,
>> > and the pragmatic point of view.
>> >
>> > First, the pragmatic view point: everybody does it this way: crosstool-NG
>> > openembedded, buildroot, all major distros... So it is a known way of
>> > having an NPTL toolchain, with no need to have to solve new issues no one
>> > will really be interested to investigate, as a working solution already
>> > exists.
>> >
>> > That's probably not a satisfiable answer for some, but as it does get the
>> > job done, most of us are just happy with that.
>> >
>> > Now, from the academic stand point. NPTL is partly implemented by the
>> > kernel, by the C library, and by the compiler. How these play together
>> > is a bit obscur to me.
>>
>> So if everybody else does something slightly wrong, we will do the same
>> ;-)
>
> Yes. This is the pragmatic approach.
>
> However, if any one comes up with a way to build NPTL, that does involve
> only two gcc steps, and is *sane*,

What is the definition of sane here?

> then I'm not against integrating it.  It should however be proven to
> be sound beyond any doubt, though.

Which is AFAIR, same kind of argumentation that caused my work in this
direction to be blocked in OE.  "Prove boyond any doubt" is a really
_HARD_ task here, and in this case, for most people not really feasible.

FWIW, I believe that OE has made some changes in this direction
recently, but I haven't looked into exactly what was changed (as I am
happily using ct-NG in OE-lite).

/Esben