Re: Changing the destination Linux Kernel version

Hi, thank you for your response,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:

> The "for GNU/Linux 2.6.24" is determined by the glibc of your
> build machine, you cannot change it by any compile
> or link options.

Ok for this point.

> You can build and install updated tools in a local environment
> (e.g. in your home directory) on your host machine and then build
> the toolchain on the host.

I have tryied this, but, local tools are as old as the kernel. So, I
need to update a lot of tools and there is many dependencies. E.g., I
need to update automake, but my version of autotools is too old to
build a newer version of automake, so, I need to update autotools too,
which have many others dependencies.

> The only other choice would be to build a toolchain on
> your build machine with a glibc with lower minimum kernel
> version (CT_LIBC_GLIBC_MIN_KERNEL in ct-ng or --enable-kernel=<version>
> in glibc configure), and then use that to compile the cross toolchain.

If I do that, I will have to use a very old version of glibc. I think
the old version will come with many other problems (bugs and maybe
leak of some functionalities).

I will try to update the kernel on my host machine...

Clément