Re: Canadian build for AVR

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jon
>
> On 9 May 2013 00:32, jonsmirl@gmail.com <jonsmirl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been trying to do a Canadian build for the Avr32 without much
>> success. I get lots of different compile failures depending on which
>> releases of the various components I pick.
>>
>> I used this approach..
>>
>> apt-get install avc-gcc, etc...
>
> Sorry, are you working for the AVR or AVR32? They are two totally
> different processors, AVR has GCC support in mainline but not in
> crosstool-ng. AVR32 does not have support in mainline GCC but does in
> crosstool, thanks to several megabytes of patches for gcc-4.2.2,
> binutils-2.18 and newlib-1.17

Target is the 8-bit AVR. I was confused and thought that the AVR32
compilers worked for both CPUs. I need the AVR8 gcc.

So crosstool-ng is missing AVR8 support which is my final target. That
probably rules it out.

> Mind you, I can't see GCC running on the 8-bit AVR processors, so I
> assume you mean AVR32, in which case you might start from here:
> http://spaces.atmel.com/gf/project/ct-ng/
> which has patches for AVR32 for more versions, up to gcc-4.4.7.

Compiler needs to run on a mipel with uclibc.

So it is:
x86 --> mipsel (uclibs) --> AVR8 (bare metal)

----------------

I'm trying a couple of other schemes too...
Using the Openwrt cross build environment to make the AVR8 compiler.
I am missing all of the makefile for this and haven't found a combo
yet that builds.

Using Debian on a mipel emulator.
I have the make files for the AVR8 compiler, but I need to figure out
how to modify them to build for mipsel/uclibc instead of normal
Debian.

> That said, the current AVR32 stuff in crosstool-ng only supports
> newlib on bare-metal targets if I understand correctly. What operating
> system environment platform are you wanting the ct-ng-generated
> compiler to run on?
>   I think the AVR32 patches have support for uclinux (or had... I fear
> I may have diked that part out while pruning the patches for my
> project).  Do you maybe have linux/uclibc running on AVR32?

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com