This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
- From: cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm
- To: cygwin-announce at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:15:18 -0400
- Subject: Updated: csih-0.1.7-1
- Reply-to: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
csih (cygwin-service-installation-helper) provides a library of shell
functions that can be used by other cygwin packages that provide servers
and daemons. It can assist in various service installation tasks, such as:
* identifying the underlying Windows OS
* detecting whether a "privileged user" exists and what its name is
(that is, a user account with enhanced privileges necessary for
* creating a privileged user if one doesn't already exist (assuming the
caller has permissions to create new users, of course)
* creating "normal" users
* obtaining the (localized) name of well known accounts (Guest,
It is currently used by inetutils(iu-config, syslogd-config),
sspi(sspi-config), sysvinit(init-config). csih should not be used
directly; instead, config scripts like the ones mentioned above should
'source' the csih script, and then use the functions provided.
Changes (since 0.1.4-1)
* tweak permissions for privileged user
* new utility program getVolInfo
* accept privileged accounts that exist only in /etc/passwd (e.g.
privileged accounts that are domain, not local, ones).
* Don't report permissions-related errors if files are hosted
on file systems that do no support access control (FAT, old SAMBA).
* Even on NT/2k/XP, prefer to use a privileged user (as opposed to
SYSTEM) if a well-known one already exists on the machine (local
account, or domain account listed in /etc/passwd)
* Add better support for cygwin-1.7
* Add better support for Vista
* bug fixes
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.