Re: bash calls private readline functions

Chet Ramey wrote:

> > /* NOTE: Functions and variables prefixed with `_rl_' are
> >    pseudo-global: they are global so they can be shared
> >    between files in the readline library, but are not intended
> >    to be visible to readline callers. */
> > --from rlprivate.h
> >
> > Recently, one of the cygwin users tried to build bash using my readline
> > DLL and the --with-installed-readline configure option.  It failed,
> > because bash was trying to call the following functions:
> >
> > These are defined in rlprivate.h:
> >   _rl_set_screen_size
> >   rl_last_func
> >   rl_explicit_arg
> >   rl_editing_mode
>
> Thanks.  These have been fixed.

Out of curiosity, how did you fix these?  (I haven't seen an updated
tarball on ftp.gnu.org for either readline or bash, so I'm not sure how
you approached this).  Did you work around it in bash, so that bash
doesn't call the private functions, or did you make them public in
readline? (If the latter, then I need to modify my DLL exports to take
that into account).

No problem either way, I'm just curious.

> When I configure --with-installed-readline, the build process uses the
> readline include files in ${includedir}, which is /usr/local/include by
> default.  configure sets ${includedir} to ${prefix}/include, but you
> can set it explicitly using the `--includedir=xxx' argument to `configure',
> or run configure with a different `--prefix'.

That's what I thought.  I wasn't real sure about this problem -- I
didn't reproduce it myself, but the symptoms reported by Earnie sure
looked familiar.  I'll check back into this after the next version of
bash|readline are released.

Thanks for looking into the problem.

--Chuck