Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libpng-1.0.9-3

    Charles> "Dr. Volker Zell" wrote:
    >>
    >> In case anybody has build the following packages with libpng-1.0.8, I
    >> found that the new
    >> version breaks also the following executables (because of missing
    >> png_init_io entry point):

    Charles> [embarrassingly long list of broken programs snipped]

    >> But recompilation fiexes everything.

    Charles> ^&@(!)#$&!@#%!@#$

    Charles> All I can say is, XEmacs still worked.  Compiled with the old lib, used

For me too ..

    Charles> with the new lib.  I guess XEmacs is not such a great test case, after
    Charles> all.

Maybe not for libpng, but still for other cases as Chris might know.

    Charles> !@#%*@(#)!~

    Charles> I'm really, *really* sorry about this. Unfortunately, there's very little
    Charles> I can do about it.  I considered the following:

    Charles>   (1) beat the png-developers into submission so that they change the .def
    Charles> file to match the (semi-random) export table result cygwin's gcc generated
    Charles> for the unspecified exports back in 1.0.8-3.  However, that won't match
    Charles> the (semi-random) export table generated back in 1.0.8-3 by msvc for the
    Charles> unspecified exports in the native build dll.  I give you three guesses
    Charles> which one they did match, have matched, and will match -- and the first
    Charles> two guesses don't count.  Nothing against png-develop, but msvc/native is
    Charles> a much bigger market than cygwin.

    Charles>   (2) change the dll name, so that the old dll stays "cygpng2.dll" and the
    Charles> new dll is "cygpng3.dll."  Well, yeah --- possible --- but we just
    Charles> finished a huge flamefest on the png list about dll naming synchonization
    Charles> between msvc/native "libpngX.dll" and cygwin "cygpngX.dll".  I really
    Charles> don't want to upset the apple cart on that issue now.

    Charles>   (3) go home and hide.  I gave this one serious consideration.

Give it a try :-)

    Charles> --Chuck

Ciao
  Volker

   "Is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse ..."

                                              Dr. Volker Zell
      __ /  _  /  __  / ___/  /    ___/       -- Senior Dozent --
     /  /  /__/  /_  / /     /    __/         Geschäftsstelle Düsseldorf
                                              D-40472 Düsseldorf
   e-Mail: mailto:Dr.Volker.Zell@oracle.com
   WWW:    http://ciko.de.oracle.com/  (Intranet)
   Tel:    (+49) 211-74839-414         Mobil: (+49) 174-7409377
   Fax:    (+49) 211-74839-44