rsync-2.4.6 problems (cygwin 1.1.8-2)

First I would like to say that the "new" cygwin download and installation
procedure is great. It's been a while since I installed cygwin ... the days
of b19 and b20 ... Needless to say more than "thumbs up for the new system"!

Now to my problem. I'm using rsync over ssh for backup on Linux and would
now be able to use it from WinXX as well.

Here's what I did and experienced:

I downloaded cygwin.exe and installed the latest (1.1.8-2) + a lot of
additional stuff. Next I downloaded rsync-2.4.6.tar.gz and installed it
using:

./configure
make
make install

No complaints during compilation and installation.

I tried to use the following commands to backup and restore data:

backup:
rsync -e ssh -av --delete //c/archive user@backupserver:/backup/

restore:
rsync -e ssh -av --delete user@backupserver:/backup/archive //c/

which should be reverse. I work on my data from different machines and this
often results in a mess. Where is the newest data ? etc ... IMHO rsync is a
great way to reduce this source of error ... unfortunately I can't get it to
work 100% from WinXX.

The "restore" script run's "fine" (see below for a newly discovered problem
with restore). To me this indicates that I've setup ssh/sshd correctly as
authentication seems to work. I can login to the "backupserver" machine
using "ssh backupserver" without problems.

The "backup" script terminates with a message "read error: Connection reset
by peer". First it seemed to terminate due to some files on the server not
being writeable - even though I actually didn't need to write to the
files/directories in question. I changed these to allow writing to them and
now it just terminates with the above error message ... not even displaying
progress (i.e. it doesn't show the directories being checked for sync).

A few additional notes: I'm having approximately 700MB of data I'm trying to
syncronize. This results in rsync running for a looong time just building
the file list. Also it should be noted that the /backup area on my Linux
server is (temporarily) shared using samba.

Now I've recently increased my amount of data to approximately 1.2GB and now
even restore seems to get into trouble. It makes my computer run very
slooooowly for a looonngg time, actually I didn't have time to wait for it
to shut properly down so I had to force it using the hard way (shutdown
didn't work).

Help, hints, suggestions, patches, etc. are very welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Michael Jenner