RE: V4a win32 macro

> Must be an oddity with my install then.
>
> Rob
First off, please try to use reply below quoted text to preserve
normal conversation flow. I use Outlook too, so I know that doesn't
make it easy, but still...

In any case, it looks like automake is the culprit; the output you
posted clearly showed automake's INIT macro running.

init.m4 has

AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_MAKE_SET])dnl
AC_REQUIRE([AM_DEP_TRACK])dnl
AC_REQUIRE([AM_SET_DEPDIR])dnl
AC_PROVIDE_IFELSE([AC_PROG_][CC], <-- this is the problem I think
                  [AM_DEPENDENCIES(CC)],
                  [define([AC_PROG_][CC],
                          defn([AC_PROG_][CC])[AM_DEPENDENCIES(CC)])])dnl

It seems AC_PROG_CPP ends up running before AC_PROG_CC, which is bad.
I'm not an autotools guru, so I'm not too sure of where things are failing.

I get the same failure with

AC_INIT
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
AC_API_WIN32

But removing AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE makes it DTRT.  So automake's macros
screw up the AC_REQUIRE's somehow.

> configure: creating cache /dev/null
This seems suspect too.