AW: ask for delivering kde 1.1.2

or delivering kde 1.1.2

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 01:39:50PM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I think some of you you have already noticed, that the socket problem in
> >relating to kde 1.1.2 was found and that Egor has send me a
> patch for this.
> >
> >I have applied this patch and it seems to work. Thank egor for providing
> >this.
> >
> >But now I have a question concerning the pending kde beta
> release. How do I
> >distribute this patched cygwin. Do we 1) should build an building an
> >experimental version of cygwin (perhaps a modified 1.3.2-1
> release) and to
> >distribute it with the cygwin setup or 2) should this be
> integrated in the
> >next regular cygwin release ?
> >
> >For 2) I think there is additional work needed to make this
> release stable,
> >as I recognized several problem with the recent cvs version (yesterday)
> >
> >1. libc uses a symbol _cygwin_istext_for_stdio, which was not exported by
> >cygwin (cygwin.din)
>
> You SHOULD NOT be linking with a libc.a build in newlib.  This file is not
> intended to be used by applications.  You should never include -lc on
> your command line.

As I understood building cygwin I have to checkout the whole winsup dir,
create a
build dir, enter this dir and call configure from the top src dir.
Then I have to call make in the build dir and the whole cygwin will be
compiled.
then I have to install 'libiberty newlib cygwin utils' into a tempory dir (I
have figured out that from the /etc/setup/cygwin.lst.gz) and build a tar or
bz2 archive. Then this could be installed with the setup.exe if setup.ini is
updated with this package after closing all running cygwin apps. Does I have
understood something wrong ?
I have done this with the cygwin 1.3.2-1 source too and there was no error
in this way.

> >2. I can't debug kde apps. On starting the app in the debugger
> an unexpected
> >exception ocurres.
> >   This does't happens in cygwin 1.3.2.-1.
>
> Either your cygwin or your program is suspect if you have linked it with a
> libc.a from newlib.  Otherwise, report where the "unexpected
> exception occurs".
> How would you expect anyone to fix a problem if you don't report details?
the only detail I have was that this error occures in the kernel32.dll and
that this exception was numbered 6a4.
I have tried to reproduce this error yet, but I can't. Perhaps was this a
side effect of the above problem ???

> >3. I have created scripts for short calling windows apps in the
> background
> >like
> >   /usr/local/bin/vc:
> >      # call visual c++
> >      /cygdrive/c/programme..../msvc.exe `cygpath -aw $1` &
> >
> >   The "sending in background" doesn't work.
> >
> >   In cygwin 1.3.2-1 I have called
> >
> >        vc xyz.c
> >
> >   with this snapshot I have to call
> >
> >       vc xyz.c &
> >
> >   for the first time.

... otherwise I can't enter any more command in the bash shell because vc
blocks it.

> I'm sorry but I don't know what "sending in the background"
> means.
I mean the '&' which I have added to the script, which will not work

> saying that the `cygpath ...` doesn't work?  Or are you saying that typing
> "vc xyz.c" doesn't work?

If not WHAT IS THE ERROR?  PLEASE!
> Think about this
> as if we are not inside your mind or peering over your shoulder
> while you type.
>
> If you can't provide details then we can't fix the problem.  It's
> that simple.
Of course, but I think the difference of calling "vc xyz" or vc xyz &" is
clear.
To avoid the second sample i have placed the '&' into the script and this
functionality does not work.

Regards

Ralf